Sunday, October 30, 2011

#flashback - June 1, 2011 - The misadventures begin

June 1st was the date I decided to push things forward, in terms of moving to Germany.

The idea had actually  been there for a while now. I was waiting out my contract doing customer service at a large electronics firm near Sacramento, in the midst of a 6 month lease on a studio apartment in the Midtown area (there's a huge back story about how I ended up temporarily single, but I'll save that for another time).  Husband went over first, and everything had fallen into place for him once he got there: he accepted a position in Munich just one month after touching down in Berlin; found a long lost uncle, who also happened to be his godfather, who navigated him through the perils of German bureaucracy, helped get him an apartment just off an S-bahn line about 35 km north of Munich, and helped reintroduce him to his relatives in the area.

Meanwhile, back in the US. the expectation was that I would finish out my lease, finish out my contract, sell my car, and be prepared enough to go over and start my new life.

Then my husband sent me an email in late May, saying in effect:

"I can't live without you.  You mean everything to me.  I miss you so much.  The job market here is wonderful! You really should consider coming over sooner. It's going to be fabulous!"

There was, of course, a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea.  He didn't want to wait for me to finish out my contracts before coming over.

Frankly, neither did I.

A few transatlantic phone calls later (thanks, Google Voice!), and I was convinced that I can just pretty much up and leave.   Someone was waiting for me with open arms, endless amounts of support, and with a willingness to start again and be together again.  I had nothing holding me back here.  Why not?

Except that, going through my papers, I'm dumbstruck by the fact that I can't find my car title!

Not only that, I realize that the car title STILL had my lender's name on it as the owner, despite me paying off my car loan years ago.

Time to make some trips, dammit!  But it would have to wait until my bills were paid.  Just a few days.  Really.

TBC...

1 comment: